Friday, December 16, 2005

It's gonna cost me how much!?

"Thats it, I'm getting a loan."

These were pretty much my thoughts after I had discovered how much a trip around the world was gonna set me back.

I had somehow managed to get the time off work (I'm one of those lucky sods who can get a career break from work and still have the job when I get back. God Bless the Public Service). A year should suffice.

A gaint map of the world was hastily pinned up on the bedroom wall and a route was meticuloulsy pieced together with coloured twine and pins, mostly inspired by places that had impressed me on David Attenborough and National Geographic documentaries. All those years of watching them religiously with my Dad had finally paid off. I know what and where stuff is!!! A couple of less wild destinations were included too, mostly for the benefit of my girlfriend who was equally as inspired as I was, but less by action man adventure and more by shopping and relaxation. Compromise is a must when you're travelling with someone else.

Guide books were purchased and read over and over again. We decided to go for The Rough Guide, which just seemed more accessible and a little better layed out than the other ones. You'll find yourself reading them over and over - mostly, I'm not afraid to say, when you're on the toilet and usually resulting in pins a needles in your legs!! It's in this, most personal of places, you become one with your guidebook, finding little gems of information with each read and forgetting them just as quickly when you discover something else that sounds fantastic.

Backpacks were next on our long list and we spent a good few weekends scoping out all the different ones. And with so many to choose from it can take quite a while. In the end we each went for a mid-priced one which has proved itself to be a veritable 'life on your back' indeed.

These are our backpacks in the airport in Xi'An, China. Very eh.....affordable.

While all this planning was going on there were always thoughts on the finance aspect of our trip. We really didn't know how much we would need at first, but the more we read up on places we wanted to go the more we got to grips with the cost. And it came as quite a shock.

Before we even left Ireland we had spent over Euro2500!! Between paying for plane tickets, vaccinations, backpacks and then stuff to go in the backpacks we had spent a small fortune. There were times when we thought we would have to call it quits and cancel our trip as it was just going to cost us way too much. We had saved so hard for months, scarificing nights out and other activities that could have kept us sane for the benefit of having a few more bucks for out trip.

In the end, after much thought and deliberation, we gave in and got a loan. And let me tell you, we didn't regret it one bit. Whats a few thousand Euro, eh? We can always pay it back when we get home.

So how much will it cost? Well, without going into too much boring detail (and it is extremely boring) the total trip was going to cost us the guts of Euro10,000 each all inclusive. It seemed like a lot of money at the time but when you consider how much you will spend on crap at home in a year it will probably come very close to this amount, if not even eclipse it. So why not spend it doing something new and exciting every single day for a year instead?

So there you go. You can do the world in style for 10 grand (Euro Grand!!). And over the next while Im gonna try to tell you how.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, October 11, 2015 3:54:00 p.m., Blogger Credit Loan said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you


LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
=================
Full Name:................
Loan Amount Needed:.
Purpose of loan:.......
Loan Duration:..
Gender:.............
Marital status:....
Location:..........
Home Address:..
City:............
Country:......
Phone:..........
Mobile / Cell:....
Occupation:......
Monthly Income:....

Contact Us At :urgentloan22@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home